26.2.14

Vanilla, Cinnamon & Maple Overnight Oats.

Maple Cinnamon Overnight Oats

We are big porridge eaters, especially in the winter time. Isaac will often ask for porridge for breakfast and sometimes lunch. The boy’s wintertime favourite was oats cooked up with a bit of cinnamon and then served with banana and milk.

As the weather warmed up I tried a few Bircher style muesli recipes, but for some reason the kids just didn’t go for it. I think it may have been the apple and juice I had used; while it was tasty it wasn’t as creamy as porridge.

I had seen a few different recipes for overnight oats on Pinterest and Instagram and after a little tinkering I developed this yummy, creamy version.

Apart from being absolutely delicious, overnight oats a cinch to serve up at breakfast, as long as you have done the prep out the night before. I have kept mine for up two to nights in the fridge, so you could make enough for a few mornings. It is perfect for breakfast on the go as you prepare in the jar the night before and take it with you in the morning.

Vanilla, Cinnamon & Maple Overnight Oats.

  • These oats are lightly sweetened with maple syrup, feel free to add more, leave out or switch for a different sweetener.

  • I use Greek yoghurt because I love the tang and creaminess. Any other youghurt could be used in it's place.

  • The jar I use is 500ml

  • This makes enough for me and three little people.

Ingredients
1/3 cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup Greek yoghurt
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Place oats and cinnamon into a jar. Give it a quick shake. Put in the rest of the ingredients and close lid firmly, shake well to combine everything and the place in the fridge until morning.
Serve with more yoghurt and berries or banana.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I would love to give this a try, was wondering if you can heat it to have it warm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure can Bec. I pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to take the chill off. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I'm going to try this one tonight! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister converted me to overnight oats awhile ago. Now three of the four of us have them each morning for breakfast. I make mine in a bowl with half a cup of oats, just under half a cup of soy milk (we are lactose intolerant), a layer of chia seeds, a layer of soy yoghurt, a layer of sliced almonds and then a layer of frozen berries. I pop them in the fridge and can't wait to grab them out in the morning with a cup of tea!

    Will have to buy some maple syrup and try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I love reading your comments.