So to start, I lost my first two sons during pregnancy. My first baby boy was lost at just 14weeks. Quickly and painfully. Just like that I became and excited expectant mother to an empty, grieving woman sent back home and that was that. He wasn‘t officially given a name and his birth wasn’t recorded. But he existed and he was my first baby boy. I fell pregnant again quickly, just 1 month later. The first trimester spent in fear until I reached that safe point and 15 weeks. Baby's progress was monitored regularly and we both were doing well. He was growing bigger and stronger, we reached the third trimester. Excitement built, names picked, room readied. But then he was gone. At 32weeks 6days know heartbeat could be found. I spent the next two days with him still in my womb, until we could be fitted in to schedule of the labour ward. If giving birth is painful, then it is even more so knowing that the baby that will be born to you will never take his first gasp of air, never cry, never sleep on your chest and grasp his little hand around your fingers and never grow before your eyes.The anaesthetist was slow in arriving to my room; just in time to tell me that it was too late and thing had progress too far. So I felt every contraction, every pain. Trying hard to focus on anything except what was happening in that room. Tiny little Lincoln was stillborn at lunch time on the 22nd October 2008. We spent the rest of the day with him. We held him and caressed is precious little face, counted his ten fingers and toes. I was so scared that I would break him so a beautiful midwife named Eve dressed him. In a white cardigan knitted and donated by a lovely lady who I would never meet and thank. Later that evening we walked out of the hospital without our baby boy.
23.5.14
The hardest story to start
Have you ever had a story that you didn’t know how to start?
A story that you have never really shared out aloud. There is no easy way to start this story. A story that you know you must tell in order to be able to tell anymore and to be able to move forward and create more stories. I have a story just like this. I have tried to begin this story many times. I think sometimes it is just best to start and not worry if it is the right way.
So to start, I lost my first two sons during pregnancy. My first baby boy was lost at just 14weeks. Quickly and painfully. Just like that I became and excited expectant mother to an empty, grieving woman sent back home and that was that. He wasn‘t officially given a name and his birth wasn’t recorded. But he existed and he was my first baby boy. I fell pregnant again quickly, just 1 month later. The first trimester spent in fear until I reached that safe point and 15 weeks. Baby's progress was monitored regularly and we both were doing well. He was growing bigger and stronger, we reached the third trimester. Excitement built, names picked, room readied. But then he was gone. At 32weeks 6days know heartbeat could be found. I spent the next two days with him still in my womb, until we could be fitted in to schedule of the labour ward. If giving birth is painful, then it is even more so knowing that the baby that will be born to you will never take his first gasp of air, never cry, never sleep on your chest and grasp his little hand around your fingers and never grow before your eyes.The anaesthetist was slow in arriving to my room; just in time to tell me that it was too late and thing had progress too far. So I felt every contraction, every pain. Trying hard to focus on anything except what was happening in that room. Tiny little Lincoln was stillborn at lunch time on the 22nd October 2008. We spent the rest of the day with him. We held him and caressed is precious little face, counted his ten fingers and toes. I was so scared that I would break him so a beautiful midwife named Eve dressed him. In a white cardigan knitted and donated by a lovely lady who I would never meet and thank. Later that evening we walked out of the hospital without our baby boy.
No one can ever be prepared for becoming a mother of a dead child. It is a world of endless grief. Still after almost six years I feel the exact pain I felt that day. I can recall exact sensation of my heart breaking. But your heart has the amazing ability to keep on working, even when you think it couldn't possibly.
Despite the all the fear and grief in September 2009 we welcomed our Isaac into our lives, after a scary and intense 9 months of pregnancy and about 9 hours of an awful labour. Three years after Isaac was born we had had two more sons Cohen in 2011 and Sam in 2012.
As I type this I can feel our new little person doing back flips in my belly. The next 22 weeks of pregnancy and then the birth will not be any easier or less frighting then any of the others. I will doubt my body's capabilities; doubt my mind's strength, second guessing every twinge.
So six years on and three health babies, why share this story now? Their story is important. Their little precious short lives played a part I who I have become today and how I will and want to continue to develop as a mother, wife and as my own person. It is important for me to be able to celebrate them aloud so that I can move forward and celebrate, create and share more stories with my little boys who lived.
So to start, I lost my first two sons during pregnancy. My first baby boy was lost at just 14weeks. Quickly and painfully. Just like that I became and excited expectant mother to an empty, grieving woman sent back home and that was that. He wasn‘t officially given a name and his birth wasn’t recorded. But he existed and he was my first baby boy. I fell pregnant again quickly, just 1 month later. The first trimester spent in fear until I reached that safe point and 15 weeks. Baby's progress was monitored regularly and we both were doing well. He was growing bigger and stronger, we reached the third trimester. Excitement built, names picked, room readied. But then he was gone. At 32weeks 6days know heartbeat could be found. I spent the next two days with him still in my womb, until we could be fitted in to schedule of the labour ward. If giving birth is painful, then it is even more so knowing that the baby that will be born to you will never take his first gasp of air, never cry, never sleep on your chest and grasp his little hand around your fingers and never grow before your eyes.The anaesthetist was slow in arriving to my room; just in time to tell me that it was too late and thing had progress too far. So I felt every contraction, every pain. Trying hard to focus on anything except what was happening in that room. Tiny little Lincoln was stillborn at lunch time on the 22nd October 2008. We spent the rest of the day with him. We held him and caressed is precious little face, counted his ten fingers and toes. I was so scared that I would break him so a beautiful midwife named Eve dressed him. In a white cardigan knitted and donated by a lovely lady who I would never meet and thank. Later that evening we walked out of the hospital without our baby boy.
Labels:
Life amp; Musings,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you so much for sharing your story Kate. I can't even begin to imagine your heart ache. I lost a baby at 17 weeks and I still cry. Thank you again.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for taking the plunge and pressing publish on this extremely intimate part of your life's story.
ReplyDeleteI am so confident that other women who have experienced similar tragedies, and joys, will find you and reach out to you and lift you up. Your boys are always with you. Grieving is not a neat, linear, finite process. It marks us for life. That's as it should be. Please don't let anyone stifle the ebb and flow of your heart as a mum.
Annette
xxxx
Thank you. I lost my first a single day after I discovered I was expecting. And then it took another year to fall pregnant again. Acknowledging that child and its life was, and still is, very important to me.
ReplyDeleteSo thank you for sharing your story and reminding me that others have carried losses greater than my own.
xx
Hello there,
ReplyDeleteI feel so honoured to have this story shared with me. Like Annette said above, I am sure this story will resonate with a great many people who have experienced loss like this. I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy.
xx
Ashley
Thankyou so much for sharing your story Kate. My sister in law has gone through some heartbreak aswell. She had some miscarriages until she became pregnant with her first little boy. But it wasn't until 21 weeks that they lost him. They called him Isaak. There was no reason as to why he passed away. They have photos of him and special treasures from his birth. It was very emotional and I hope I was there for her enough to help her through. We still celebrate his birthdays. He would have been 5 this year. Since then she has had two beautiful children, Erika and Caleb. You enjoy each and every one of your beautiful children xx
ReplyDeleteHow brave you are to share your story. I'm so sorry that you've endured such terrible things, Kate. I feel like I know a tiny bit about how it must feel, now that I've read this. Thanks for helping me to understand something unfathomable, even just a tiny bit. x
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story Kate. Well done for having the courage to share it. I am so sorry for your loss and so excited for all the boys you have in your life now. This seems to happen more often than we realize and has only just happened to 2 of my friends also. Just heartbreaking. Wishing you all the luck with the next 22 weeks. xx
ReplyDeleteYou are so brave for sharing such a personal story. I lost my 15yo daughter ten years ago in an accident and I don't think I could share my story quite so publicly but then I don't feel like I need to either. I don't shy away from telling people if they ask or talking about her. I can understand you wanting to tell people because it does shape who you become more than people realise. You are still the mother of 5 (soon to be 6) beautiful children, it just your heart aches because you can't mother for two them. Even though I don't know you I send you a big cyber hug. Thank you for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteOh, Kate. I want to wrap you up and try to comfort you. Comfort is a slippery creature when it comes to grieving. I am so sorry your first two boys aren't in the yard playing right now. I'm sorry for your pain, and I am deeply and earnestly impressed with your courage in sharing this story. Every pain shared is useful to someone traversing the same path. Thank you, for your heart and your courage and these beautiful words.
ReplyDeleteKate how brave you are telling this story. What a beautiful heartfelt post. You are much more courageous than me. I lost a baby at 13 weeks. I went on to have four children, then my fourth, a little girl, died tragically at 22 months. After the grieving (if it ever goes away) I have tried to become a strong person through these experiences. As a family we celebrate our little girls short but sweet life and I will talk to people about my experiences but I haven't been brave enough to write my "hardest story". Hugs xxx
ReplyDeleteKate, your story is so moving and you have told it wholeheartedly. It has touched me so very much. Thank you for being brave enough to share it. I know that it couldn't have been easy, but know that it is very much appreciated. lots of love, Sarah x
ReplyDeleteKate. Reading this brought back so much it was hard to finish. It's important that we accept and move on with life, but never forget. Reading your story also reminds me why I'm so proud of my daughter and my wonderful grandsons.
ReplyDeleteI have no words other than love, love, love.
ReplyDeleteThank you Deb. I am sorry for your loss xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Annette. Your words played a massive part in giving me the courage to press publish. xxx
ReplyDeleteOh Lisa, I don't wish you to think that your loss is any less than mine. It doesn't matter if you were 9 weeks of 32 weeks when you lose a baby you are not only greiving for that little life but also all the possiblities that it could have been. love to you.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ashley.
ReplyDeleteI sure you were a great comfort to your sister in law, I am truly sorry to hear of her loss. I think it is wonderful that you help celebrate his birthday, he sounds like he is truly loved. Best wishes to her and her beautiful children. And thank you for your kind words.
ReplyDeleteThank you Pip. xx
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your friends'. It does seem to be more common then you would think or hope. I am excited by all the boys i my life now too. They really keep me busy. xx
ReplyDeleteMichelle, I am sorry to that you lost your daughter, I can't even imagine how hard that would be. Thank you for your kind words and support. xx
ReplyDeleteoh Kate, I'm so sorry to read this. How absolutely devastating for you, I can only imagine. My first pregnancy was not ideal, and my daughter arrived very small for her dates and early. It happened again during our second pregnancy.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a brave person to endured such loss but continued on your dream of family. I know how nervous I was during my second pregnancy when it was becoming evident that the same set of circumstances was unfolding again. I can't imagine your anxiety.
Big hugs to you xx