Remember Cheds. Crunchy, melt in the mouth kind of tasted like really salty cheese biscuity goodness. I haven't had one since I was a child but I remember them fondly, especially topped with butter. Oh my how yummy they are spread thick with butter. Have look at the packet you will find that there is actually very little cheese in them and a heck of a lot of other stuff that I seriously question whether it needs to be in a biscuit. My Simple Cheese Biscuits are in fact super simple and have only five ingredients and a majority of that is actually real cheese and butter. So no need to smother extra on top, unless that is what you are into. I won't judge.
Really quick to whip up in the food processor, then a matter of rolling, slicing and baking for 15 minutes. The recipe states plain flour but I have made them before with spelt flour with excellent results. I am sure you could replace with gluten-free flour if you needed.
The boys enjoy one or two at morning tea with their fruit. I find them absolutely delicious with a dollop of tomato relish. Anyway you eat them it will be hard to stop at just one. This is ok because this recipe makes about 50, depending on how thickly you cut them. I like to bake half and keep the other half in the freezer for later. If you exercise self-control they will keep in an air tight container for about a week.
Simple Cheese Biscuits
Ingredients
100g butter, cubed
1 1/3 cup plain flour
100g cheddar or tasty cheese, grated
1 egg
1 heaped tablespoon Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 130C. Line a tray with baking paper.
Place butter and flour in food processor. Mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add cheese and mix again until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and mustard. Mix until it the dough comes together as a ball (this may seem like it will never happen. But trust me, keep that motor going and then when you least expect it Dough Ball!)
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until it all comes together. Using your hands roll the dough into a long sausage shape, about 4cm thick. At this point you could cut the roll in half, wrap one half and place in the freezer*.
With a floured knife, cut the roll into rounds about 1cm wide (no need to be too exact).
Place on the tray; allow room for a little spreading. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
The less you bake them for the chewier they are. So if you would like a crunchy biscuit bake for a little longer. Allow to cool and the enjoy.
*The dough will last a good month in the freezer. If baking from frozen just allow the roll of dough to soften slightly at room temperature then slice and bake as usual.
They look very nice, Kate. I have never tried baking a savoury biscuit before. The recipe looks easy and simple. I might give these a try over the weekend. We have a long weekend this weekend so I am looking forward to doing some baking.
ReplyDeleteYour photos look great. I hate the light in my kitchen aswell. I sometimes have to move things over to our dining table to take a better shot.
I look forward to seeing more from The Recipe Box! Enjoy your weekend x
Your photography is beautiful! Might have to try these.
ReplyDeleteI arrived here via BWP Alumni. These look and sound delicious. I think I'll give them a go but wheat free. BTW the photos look fab.
ReplyDeleteThese biscuits look wonderful!cant wait to try them. I love anything buttery, cheesy, savoury-y!
ReplyDeleteThese look delicious! Photography is great too. I love the light!! x
ReplyDeleteGreat idea Kate, when you finish with all your pieces of paper I can send you mine & then I can just go to the one website. Haha.. I will be trying these as well. Keep them coming !!!
ReplyDeleteOh they do look yummy! I'll be pinning them for reference. Love the new recipe box series :)
ReplyDeleteI made some of these today! I have the recipe filed away in my handy-dandy recipe folder. Dee-licious
ReplyDeleteYay! You didn't have to. You could have come over and shared some of ours. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Heike. Pin away my dear. Hopefully more good things coming.
ReplyDeleteYou could do a guest post for me ;) xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Carla. I'm slowly learning what my little Olympus is capable of.
ReplyDeleteThey are really melt in the mouth delicious. I hope you do try them, I'd love to hear how they go.
ReplyDeleteOh please try them. I would really love to hear how they turn out with a wheet free flour. x
ReplyDeleteThanks Laura. I hope you give them a try. So easy. xx
ReplyDeleteLong weekends are made for baking. I'm just trying to work with what I've got, the light in my kitchen isn't great but it it the lightest room in the house. xx
ReplyDeleteThese look fantastic! You did such a beautiful job shooting them!
ReplyDeleteWow, can't wait to bake these! YUM
ReplyDeleteI am definitely going to try these.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to the scraps of paper thing too - I have corralled mine into plastic sleeves but still have a mountain of recipes in magazines here, there and everywhere.
Mmmmm baking!!