4.7.14

The Recipe Box - Cinnamon Pumpkin Biscuits


We grew pumpkins aplenty this year. Even after gifting a few to family members we still have more then enough to get us by for the foreseeable future. Lucky we are a family of pumpkin soup lovers. 

One of the best things to have in your freezer over winter is precooked pumpkin and chicken stock. When the soup mood takes hold a simple, nourishing and delicious meal can be made with quickly. I like to roast up a whole pumpkin, cut into largish chunks skins on, with olive oil. Then when the flesh is soft and a little browned let it cool and then scoop out the flesh and freeze. I like to freeze it in about 1 cup portions.

But this is not another recipe for pumpkin soup, I'm sure most people have their go to soup recipe.
No, this is a recipe for a sweet little treat, Cinnamon Pumpkin Biscuits, even though these little morsels are called biscuits they’re almost cake like in their texture, soft and crumbly.

By roasting the pumpkin, the vegetables' own sugars are deepened and caramelized and this adds to the biscuits sweetness, so much so that I have halved the recipes original call for 1 cup of sugar.


Cinnamon Pumpkin Biscuits

Makes about 30 small biscuits
Ingredients
110 grams butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed pumpkin
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Method
Preheat oven to 180C.
Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy, add vanilla and pumpkin.
Sift together flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
Fold flour into butter mixture until well combined.
Place heaped teaspoon of dough onto lined baking trays.
Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

They will be very soft straight out of the oven but will firm up a little when cool. Will last a few days in an airtight container but they will get a little softer.
Can be made larger, just adjust the cooking time.



Enjoy with a cup of tea and a pair of slippers.

2 comments:

  1. I love the spiced pumpkin thing! I may have to investigate some gluten free alternatives :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and tell me how you go.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I love reading your comments.